Learning Linux - Part One
Linux Basic Fundamentals Guide and Tutorial
Welcome to the Land of Linux's tutorials and guides. In part 1 of our free tutorial we will cover some very basic information. What is Linux? Where did it come from? We will take a look at some of the popular Linux distributions that are available.
We will take a look at the "Linux Desktop". What gives Linux its highly customizable look.
We take a look at "Live CDs and DVDs". Howto try out Linux without installing to your hard drive. A look at installing some of the popular Linux distributions for both Desktop/Laptop computers and servers. A look at Oracle's VirtualBox software which allows you to try out multiple Operating systems on the same computer.
One of the many great features of Linux is its built in documentation facility called the "Man Pages". This allows you to lookup help information on commands and files. We will cover the "Man Pages", which should be your first place to look for help. We take a look at various "help" commands and "Information" commands that are at your disposal.
Part 1 - Linux Tutorial
- What is Linux? An introduction to the GNU/Linux Operating System. Where did the name Linux come from?
- Linux Distributions Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, SLES, openSUSE, Fedora, RHEL, Lubuntu, LXLE, Manjaro, Zorin, Linux Lite, Mageia, Arch, CrunchBang, Antergos and Elementary OS
- Linux Desktops A look at some of the popular desktops available to Linux. Unity, KDE, GNOME, LXDE, XFCE, MATE
- Live CDs and DVDs Try out the Linux Operating system without having to install any software. Booting from a live CD/DVD.
- Linux Installation Guides Howto guides and step by step information on how to install the GNU/Linux Operating system on a Desktop.
- Installing Linux with VirtualBox Step by Step guide to install a Linux operating system in a virtual environment using Oracle VirtualBox software.
- Getting Help Finding help on a Linux system is easy with the built in Manual Pages (Man Pages), Help commands, Info commands and included documentation.