Learning Linux - Part Seven
Linux Basic Fundamentals Guide and Tutorial
Welcome to the Land of Linux's tutorials and guides. In part 7 of our free tutorial we will covering more Systems Administration topics.
We will take a look at "SSH" and "SCP". How to retrieve files using wget and curl utilities.
Howto Transfer files across networks using "FTP" and "SFTP". Configuring a SFTP Jail.
Howto install and configure a NFS mount (Network File System). A look at message logging and how it works.
We look at various ways of configuring and adding additional swap space on a Linux system.
Howto install and configure a LAMP stack. Howto manage MySQL databases from the command line and using a graphical interface.
Managing copies of files and scripts using RCS - Revision Control System.
An introduction to using LVM - Logical Volume Manager. Learn to manage Physical Volumes, Volume Groups and Logical Volumes. Backup up critical filesystems with LVM snapshots.
Howto guide for using "rsync" to copy files locally and remotely between servers.
Part 7 - Linux Tutorial
- Using SSH with Linux Using ssh "The Secure Shell" Access remote servers securely using "ssh". Use SCP "secure copy"
- Custom Banner Pages Howto create custom ssh login banner pages with system information and colour.
- wget command Download files easily with wget the "non interactive network down loader".
- curl command Download and Upload files easily with curl.
- FTP - File Transfer Protocol explained Learn how to use FTP from the command line. Learn to send and retrieve files to and from remote servers. FTP basic command and examples.
- SFTP Chroot Jails Creating SFTP Chroot Jails on a sftp server. Configuring iptables and SELinux with chroot jails.
- Mounting a remote NFS directory NFS Filesystems. Network File Systems.
- Journalctl Command Viewing message logs, systemlogs with journalctl.
- Message Logs Viewing message logs, syslogd, rsyslogd. Message Logging with logger command. Viewing Kernel messages.
- Log Rotation Managing log files with log rotation. Learn to use Log rotation in Linux.
- Swap and Paging Space Create a swap space, add additional swap space, configure swap priority. Learn to use mkswap, swapon and swapoff commands.
- SU Command Switching from one user to another and running commands as another user with the "su" command.
- LAMP installation on RHEL 6.x and CentOS 6.x Systems How to install and Configure a LAMP stack on Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS.
- LAMP installation on RHEL 7.x and CentOS 7.x Systems How to install and Configure a LAMP stack on RHEL 7.x and CentOS 7.x.
- Howto Install and Configure a MySQL Database Installing and configuring a MySQL Database on SLES/openSUSE systems.
- Howto Install and Configure phpMyAdmin phpmyadmin is a graphical interface for managing all aspects of a MySQL Database.
- RCS - Revision Control System Learn how to use RCS - Revision Control System to maintain your files and scripts.
- Introduction to LVM - Logical Volume Manager LVM - Create Physical Volumes, Volume Groups and Logical Volumes. Add disk to LVM. Migrate data from one disk to another with pvmove. Add and Reduce Space.
- Introduction to LVM Snapshots Create LVM Snapshots for backups. Restore Snapshot Logical Volumes.
- Using rsync with Linux Using rsync to copy files locally and remotely. backing up files with rsync. Use rsync with ssh keys. Create a public key for use with rsync.